“Accessible, high quality early childhood experiences are essential for setting children on the right path.”
High Quality Programs & Professionals
We must increase the quality of Detroit’s early childhood programs, both formal and informal, and the knowledge and skills of the city’s professionals.
Our mission includes the program’s services and environments, where young children spend their time, such as child care centers, pre-k programs and, are key to advancing children’s development and ensuring they are ready to begin kindergarten. Yet many of Detroit’s children are not getting the high-quality experiences they need and deserve to prepare them for the next stage of their education.
HOW ARE WE ADDRESSING THESE CHALLENGES?
Develop common standards for early childhood programs and professionals and support them with professional development opportunities.
Attract, better compensate, and retain members of the early childhood workforce.
Align key components of the early childhood and K-3 systems to ensure children are ready for kindergarten.
IMPLEMENTATION SPOTLIGHTS & ANNOUNCEMENTS
2020 Policy Summit Recap – Imperative Lead Table Talk
“Equity in quality childcare will is not possible without addressing the individual needs of families which include basic needs and financial mobilization for parents." That was just one great quote from our policy summit, where we met with policy leaders to become advocates of change for childcare.
What Do Children Need to Thrive?
Many factors in a child’s life impact whether they are healthy and thriving. Each of those factors is a piece of a puzzle that Hope Starts Here has spent the last year assembling. To ensure Detroit’s children are set up to succeed, we must understand how each piece of the puzzle fits together and then create solutions that take that knowledge into account.
WHAT SHOULD PROGRESS LOOK LIKE?
We'll know we're making progress when we see...
- An increase in the percentage of early childhood education programs using the stat’s quality rating and improvement system
- An increase in the percentage of providers ranked 3, 4, or 5 stars in the stat’s quality rating and improvement system
- An increase in the percentage of centers offering full day, full year care
- An increase in the number of seats in 3, 4, or 5 star rated programs
- An increase in the percentage of children who are kindergarten ready
- An increase in the percentage of 3rd graders reading at grade level
- An increase in the average wages of the early childhood education workforce compared to the K-3 workforce
Learn more about our active contributions towards these outcomes through our Impact Dashboards by clicking HERE.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
Every Detroiter has a role to play in making our city a great place for children. It’s time to roll up our sleeves and get to work.
Take the pledge & become an early childhood champion!